The Atlantic Politics & Policy Daily: 44 Counts
2 min read
- Robert Bowers was indicted on 44 counts, including federal hate crimes, in the murder of 11 people in Saturday’s synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- In the most detailed account of the event to date, Turkish officials said that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was strangled just after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul earlier this month, and that his body was later dismembered.
- President Donald Trump told reporters that the U.S. could send up to 15,000 troops to the U.S.-Mexico border, in response to the caravan of migrants traveling there from Central America.
- Trump will speak at a rally in Fort Myers, Florida, in support of Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis, who is in a tight race against Democrat Andrew Gillum. The rally is set to begin at 7 p.m. ET.
- Defense Secretary James Mattis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo both called for a ceasefire in Yemen’s civil war.